Friday 19 February 2010

As I Sit Here...10

As I sit here, at Kiz Sport & Gym in One Utama, I watch as my 4-year old nephew (soon to be 5) come running up to me from his bouts in the playground.


"Auntie, I want Milo," he says.


"I want Milo, please," I tell him, still trying to educate him on politeness.


"I want Milo, pleeeeease," he repeats after me, stretching the last word. "I- I want Milo so I can grow big."


"Why you want to grow big?" Excuse my English, I am, after all, talking to a 4-year old whose native tongue is Bahasa Malaysia.


"I want...I want to be bigger than my friend." I glance over at his friend/classmate, who is a white boy with a build that is bigger and taller than my slightly slim and small nephew. I dig out my purse and listen with half an ear as my nephew proceeds to tell me how he wants to be stronger and taller so he wants to drink Milo everyday.


As I watch him run off with my RM10 note to the food counter, I start to wonder why my nephew thought Milo would help him grow bigger. Then I remember my own experience, also involving Milo.


When I was in primary school, we had a mini inter-class race. I remember spurring on one of my teammates in particular because she had eaten some Milo snacks (I think it was Milo nuggets or something) before the race. I was muttering, "C'mon, you can do it. After all, you ate Milo just now." Don't ask me the reasoning behind this; at that point in time, in my childish mind, I had some sort of belief that Milo has the power to make you run faster, be stronger, etc. When it came to my turn at the race, I sprinted, believing the whole time that I can zoom pass all the other kids because I had a 'Milo' edge. Don't ask me if we won 'coz I can't remember, haha!




[caption id="" align="alignleft" width="192" caption="Nestle Milo (from www.deliver2u.com.my)"]Nestle Milo[/caption]

The thing is it's amazing how some advertisements can penetrate your conscious mind and it's even more amazing how the same product can span the generations  (case in point, me and my nephew) with the same belief; Minum Milo, Anda Jadi Sihat Dan Kuat (direct trans: Drink Milo, you'll be healthy and strong. The real English slogan is something like Nestle Milo Brings Out The Champion In You!) Makes me wonder what other advertisements have penetrated my mind without me knowing.


P.S: Do you know that Nestle came out with a Neslo sachet (Nescafe coffee with Milo, for those who dunno)? I still haven't tried it yet but I'm gonna give that and the Nescafe Tarik sachet a try as soon as I find them, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment