Friday 12 December 2008

Bolt-ed by 3D

As I sat in the slightly darkened cinema, I stared at the piece of black equipment in my hand. Still pondering, I saw that the shiny lenses had smudges on them and proceeded to wipe them clean with the corner of my shirt. I finally decided to put it on…and immediately felt uncomfortable. No matter how far I pushed it up, adjusted it or held it up with my hand, I could not for the life of me feel at ease. The thing that was the bane of my existence for an hour and a half was a plastic eye-wear known as the 3D glasses.


My good friend wanted to watch that new Disney animation, Bolt, yesterday and decided to try the 3D show instead of the regular cinema session. Before we went into the cinema hall, I asked whether I could wear the 3D glasses since I’m already wearing spectacles. My friend assured me that it was possible and that he saw his friend do it once before. Well, based on my new-found experience, yeah, you definitely can wear the 3D glasses over your regular glasses, sure, no problem at all. BUT…be prepared for what could possibly be one of _the_ most uncomfortable cinema experience ever.


My glasses is one of those thick frame kind so when I wore the 3D glasses, it ended up perched right on the tip of my nose. If I so much as giggle, the shiny rainbow lenses will drop off onto my lap. So throughout the entire movie, I had to hold it up with my hand, which got tiring after a while.


I wonder why they don’t provide better 3D glasses. Don’t they have those that can fit over our regular spectacles? Bigger and rounded ones, sort of like goggles? I mean, surely, the cinema management realizes that some movie-goers wear glasses. Shouldn’t they at least provide better quality 3D glasses for the price we pay?


I know what some of you are thinking, “Why don’t you wear contact lenses? Wouldn’t that be easier for you?” Well, certainly for those who do wear contact lenses, it wouldn’t matter, but have you seen 10-year-olds with spectacles going to the movies? They’re too young to wear contacts and of course, the parents would like them to enjoy a 3D cartoon at least once in their young life. So either the cinema should re-think their current 3D glasses or the company that makes 3D glasses should come up with those that can fit over regular eyewear.


This reminds me of the time when my ex-boyfriend wanted to go on a 3D ride at Genting Highland’s amusement park. The glasses we were given then were far worse than the ones from the cinema. These 3D glasses weren’t glasses at all; they were the cheap paper lenses type that you normally find in children’s book. Needless to say, I didn’t enjoy the ride one single bit ‘coz…I couldn’t see anything as I had to remove my spectacles to wear the blasted thing.


By the way, though Bolt was great as a movie (you really should read the goofs I found from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0397892/goofs), seeing it in 3D wasn’t much different from the regular viewing. It had action, yes, but none that would make you squeal or scream or duck your head thinking that a piece of vehicle was coming for your face. But for movies such as Journey To The Center Of The Earth,  ahhhhh, the 3D glasses would make you pee in your pants!! I watched it in its original form and the scenes drove me crazy with its realism and non-stop creatures and objects flying towards me, what more if I had watched the 3D version.


So, yeah, to summarize, watch Bolt (good acting and plot), don’t go for Bolt 3D (not much difference unless you really want to watch it) and wear contacts if you do watch Bolt 3D (or be prepared for major discomfort). D

No comments:

Post a Comment