Saturday 20 December 2008

Junk or Treasure?

"AHHH-CHOOO!!!"


The loud sneeze traveled into the living room where my mom sat on the floor, riffling through bags of clothes, papers and old tubes of lotions.


"You better wear a mask," she called out to me. "You've been sneezing non-stop."


I sniffled and promptly let out another unfeminine blast for the umpteenth time. I was in the study/store room of the house, which was almost choked full of dust and 'stuff' (my polite word for junk) that we don't even know what's in it anymore. A few days ago, I had this brilliant idea of finally cleaning out the room of its 'indigestion'. Today, with my head throbbing, my nose sniffling and my throat sore from inhaling all the dust, I'm not so sure that I'm as smart as I think I am. :P


My mom, bless her heart, is an active charity-giver. She loves helping out her selected orphanage and frequently donates used clothes, toys and neccessities to the home. Unfortunately, whatever she collects from other people (boxes and bags of old items) are brought into the house, which are then disposed of into the study room, which is why the word 'store' has been added to the room's name.


And so, I kidnapped my young cousin to help me sort out the stuff, setting aside whatever my mom's orphanage will not use, such as revealing clothes, into one pile and throwing whatever that is truly 'a gone case' (torn clothes, broken toys) into a transparent bag for the garbage-collectors. The thing is some of the stuff we were sorting out were actually our own toys, knick-knacks and clothes way back from our younger days.


As I pulled out some soft toys, I saw a toy guitar which my mom had bought for me and I held on to it for a while. I was thinking, "Oh, my mom bought this for me. I should keep it." In the next instance though, I was shaking my head vigorously and told myself, "No, no, no! No holding on to sentimental value."


You see, this is where my mom and I differ. My mom is the type who would hold on to something for so long because it reminds her of the past, and I'm not talking about a family heirloom or an item that signifies a specific memorable time. I'm talking about old magazines from the 80s, old empty lotion tubes, clothes that don't even fit her anymore, those kind of stuff. My mom is a person who loves to say "Keep that. We can use it for (insert reason here)." No matter what it is, be it baggy clothes or old telephones, she'll always think that it can be used when people come over, when we have a gathering, or incase of emergency.


My young cousin was facing the same ordeal as she slowly looked through her old Barbie dolls and cooking set. Though she was tempted several times, she repeated my sentence 'No sentimental value' and in the end, only took one small Pooh bear back with her.


I noticed that whenever most people spring clean their house, it's always a battle to get rid of stuff. They are emotionally tied to their teddy bears which gave such comfort to them, to their high school textbooks that offered so much knowledge, even to their numerous coffee cups stained with the brown liquid. Because of what it represents, the owner finds it hard to let go. I was once just like that, but I learned from my aunt that you have to be ruthless when it comes to cleaning.


For clothes, any item that you haven't worn in 6 months should be given away. For books, any title that you find even the least bit uninteresting should be recycled. The rule to cleaning is actually pretty simple; anything you don't use, chuck it aside. It's best to have someone who is firm with you when you clean because that someone will be asking, "Do you really need that?" and "Don't you think it will be beneficial to someone else?" It will hurt to part with your stuff at first, but the feeling after the cleaning is of pure relief. It feels like a weight is off your shoulder. It feels like you can breathe in deeper. In the most basic sense of it all, it feels so much more spacious. :D


So, when you're doing your spring cleaning, remember two simple rules; (1) Be ruthless, and (2) Throw/give away anything you haven't used in a long while. Once you have hypnotized your brain into thinking that way, you most likely won't have any problems differentiating junk and treasure. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment