Tuesday 27 January 2009

Cleaning Up & Making Money

Ugh, I'm still in the midst of cleaning up my new blog and posting some new pages. But I still have SO many things to get ready!!! Wahhhhh!!! Forgive me for the messsss!!!


Since this new blog has loads of space, I wanted to be able to post photos that I love, places that I highly recommend, music that I find interesting and stories that I've written in the past. I just didn't think how much time it all requires. I wonder how those serious bloggers do it. Is it like their full-time job or something? Well, actually, some of those blogs you see online are their full-time jobs. They get paid for every post that they write, lucky blokes.


It's not as easy as you think it is though, writing and maintaining a blog. Especially if your goal is to write a post everyday. When I was working as a writer, I had stuff handed to me, like perfume reviews, fashion articles, etc. I didn't have to think what topic to write about because the topic was already chosen for me. With this blog, I have to come up with something new and interesting to ensure that my blog doesn't become like some boring, monotonous drone. I mean, if me, myself and I find this blog boring, won't my readers or those who stumbled upon my blog be bored to tears too?


But then again, I love writing so it doesn't seem like a chore to me. I truly enjoy it. :-D


One of my friends had commented in the past that I should try and make money from my blog, but seriously, it's not as easy.as it sounds The pioneers of blogging had an advantage as they were some of the first to start writing about products and services, and companies saw that as a way to better market their goods because it's somewhat like a customer's personal experience, which many find much more trustworthy than commercials. I remember this Singaporean girl who would write about anything as long as the companies would send her free items, free tickets and free meals. She gets paid ALOT of money too (I don't know whether she's still around though). However, to get into this blogging-for-money community, there are tons of obstacles.


Is your writing good enough? Does your blog have high traffic and many readers? Is your blog consistently updated? What is the main topic of your blog? What makes your blog different from other blogs? Even if you do get accepted into the blog-for-money plan, there's always the approval of your post. Imagine working hard and slaving over the keyboard to write what you think is the perfect post for, say, condoms, only to get your post rejected by the company. Poof, there goes all those hours (or minutes, depending how well and fast you write) of researching, writing, re-reading and editing. Most companies want you to write a 'review' of their products without it seeming like a paid review, so you have to tweak your writing style to make it sound as though you really use the product and know what you're talking about in a casual, frank, excited, etc, tone. In my personal opinion, it takes the fun out of blogging because you constantly worry and you'll end up losing your personal identity that makes you unique.


That's why you see most blogs going through other means to generate income from their blog such as the ads and links. That way they can maintain their blog the way they want it and still get some money out of it. One website that enables you to do it is www.today.com. I tried it before and it seems legitimate but I couldn't take the limited customization of my blog so I left. By the way, if you decide to enter today.com as a writer, I advise you to have a completely new blog because they won't pay you if your post is a copy from another blog, even if it is your own in another web address.


Alrite, enough chatter. I need to get back to sorting my pages and materials, not to mention I have to go out into the real world and buy new shoes. So many things to do, so little time. :cry:

No comments:

Post a Comment