Saturday 9 May 2009

Food Review: Mango Mania

I believe not many people outside the Bangsar area knows of this little delight. I didn't know about it either until my friend keep harping on the place every single time we see him. So this week, let us go totally psycho on Mango Mania!!





[caption id="attachment_1491" align="alignleft" width="294" caption="Mango Mania"]Mango Mania[/caption]

It's easy yet kind of hard to miss this eatery. When you drive on Jalan Maarof (between the shoplots and the housing areas), you can't really see the shop unless you know what you're looking for. But when you're walking/driving down Jalan Telawi, the bright mango colour of the shop just pulls your attention to it. However, right now, Eon Bank's current branch advertisement (which is just opposite Mango Mania) is all fruits and orange-coloured too, so don't get the two shops mixed up. I doubt Eon Bank's personnel would serve you mango drinks and desserts. :-))




[caption id="attachment_1504" align="alignright" width="287" caption="Mango Mania Menu"]Mango Mania Menu[/caption]

I'm telling you, about 95% of the food served here has mango in it. No, I'm not kidding. And no, they're not a fruit seller that only emphasizes in mango, and no, they don't just have sweet things on the menu.


Alongside the treats, they have savouries like pasta, spaghetti and even a mango burger (yep, mango burger :shock: ). With the exception of a few dishes, most of the main course meals have their own unique mango addition. Their fish and chips are even served with mango tartar sauce. That is how manic they are about mango.


For my first visit, I limited myself to the sinfully yummy desserts and as per my friend's suggestion, I taste-tried one of their specialties, the Yo Froz, which is a 98% fat-free frozen yogurt.  You can ask for a taste and they'll hand you a teeny scoop of it. The mango taste is not overpowering but blends nicely with the yogurt taste.





[caption id="attachment_1496" align="alignright" width="132" caption="Chocolate Fantasy (around RM12.90)"]Chocolate Fantasy (around RM12.90)[/caption]

For my second visit, I decided to go a step higher and ordered something called the Chocolate Fantasy. A peak of vanilla frozen yogurt is drizzled with chocolate sauce and topped with a stick of chocolate Pokky and a lone strawberry. A moat of Coco Crunch and cubes of mango surrounds the bottom, adding crunchiness and juiciness for a unique refreshing taste.




[caption id="attachment_1500" align="alignleft" width="176" caption="Sean & Yo Mango Mania (around RM11.90)"]Sean & Yo Mango Mania (around RM11.90)[/caption]

My friend's all-time favourite is the Yo Mango Mania smoothie, which he described as "...a smoothie that does not use artificial mango flavourings or puree, but real mango as evident in the taste. It's not too sweet and its consistency is not like an ice-blended but rather silky and smooth." It's his, and I quote, "favourite mango-based product from Mango Mania!" I had the chance to taste one of the other smoothie but personally, I didn't really like it. I forgot which smoothie I chose but the mango taste didn't completely come through. There are also other flavours available but most will have that oh-so-crucial fruit, mango.





[caption id="attachment_1509" align="alignright" width="294" caption="Mango Mania Interior"]Mango Mania Interior[/caption]

I like the interior of the shop. You can sit and relax with a few free-to-read magazines and chit-chat with your friends on the long-joint white couch. However, there are not that many seatings so I guess on a busy day, people will just have to content with take-aways or wait for a free seat. There are a few paintings, which I think are for sale but I never did take a look at them. One side of the shop is pretty interesting too as the wall is totally covered in pictures.

As for service, well, there only seem to be two employees at each time, so they're kind of slow because they are the ones who take the order and prepare the food, but I didn't mind it much.


At the time of this post, Mother's Day is coming up and Mango Mania is having a promotion to celebrate this event for the whole month. 20%  off whole cakes, 20% discount on hot kitchen items when you dine in with your mom, and more. So get your tastebuds down to 36, Jalan Telawi Bangsar Baru!! Enjoy!!


1 comment:

  1. Absolutely refreshing & real stuff!! It's very hard to find smoothies not blended with powders these days. Gosh I love the yogurt ice cream, i mean it is YOGURT but taste like ice cream..hmm taste much better than ice cream...Im going for another one soon:)

    ReplyDelete