Saturday 20 June 2009

Food Review: Singapore's Book Cafes

When I was rounding Singapore by myself a while back, I decided to go round the famous book cafes that were featured in the Time Out magazine and that were raved in the blog-sphere. To my delight, I managed to find (thanks to my handy map) all three of the book cafes I looked up but only two of them met my expectations; 25 Degree Celsius and The Book Cafe.





[caption id="attachment_1750" align="alignleft" width="186" caption="25 Degree Celsius"]25 Degree Celsius[/caption]

25 Degree Celsius is located at #01-01, 25 Keong Saik Road, which is kind of hard to find as it's not visible from the main road. I went down the wrong road twice before I finally found it. The first impression you get from it is the white old- fashioned exterior of the shop with its modern shiny chrome-like signboard, a combo of old and new.

As you step into it, you start to think whether you accidentally wander into a book store until you catch sight of the dining area at the back, decorated mainly with white tables and furniture. The whole front of the store is filled with shelves upon shelves of cookbooks, culinary delights from East to West.


You are allowed to browse through the books at your leisure but I am unsure of whether you can browse the books while you eat as there is the possible chance of you dirtying the pages. However, when you have had your fill of delicious photos and exquisite recipes, you can then whet your appetite and thirst with 25 Degree Celsius's menu selection.


Having walked for a few hours in the middle of the afternoon, my throat was parched and I asked the helpful lady of the book cafe to suggest a nice refreshing drink and a dessert. She recommended a cooling Ice Fruit Tea (SD$8.50) and a lovely Warm Chocolate Cake (SD$12.80).





[caption id="attachment_1756" align="alignleft" width="216" caption="Warm Chocolate Cake"]Warm Chocolate Cake[/caption]

The Warm Chocolate Cake is served with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream and half a strawberry, and is drizzled with chocolate sauce. The cake itself is soft and moist with warm creamy chocolate in the inside. I know it's bad to show  a picture of a half-eaten food but I couldn't help myself, it was that good. :-D





[caption id="attachment_1761" align="alignright" width="167" caption="Iced Fruit Tea"]Iced Fruit Tea[/caption]

The Ice Fruit Tea really hits the spot on a hot day with its chilled fruity taste. I would have loved to try one of their main meals but since I had dinner planned with my friend, I had no choice but to content myself with dessert. And it was well worth it, I dare say.


The next day, I went to find the other book cafe I was itching to visit. Apparently, it's not that hard to find but you need a cab or car to take you there as it's far from any near MRT. I almost resigned myself to miss it but managed to squeeze in a visit at the last few hours before my flight back.





[caption id="attachment_1766" align="alignleft" width="225" caption="The Book Cafe"]The Book Cafe[/caption]

The Book Cafe is set up at #01-02, Seng Kee Building, of 20 Martin Road, Robertson Quay (I keep pronouncing it as 'Coo-ay' instead of 'Key' :razzmad: ). It's easy to miss as you wouldn't expect a popular book cafe to be located in a political-looking building.

The outside may seem formidable with its formal signboard but once you step inside, the interior welcomes you  invitingly. Nice dark chocolate tables and chairs are arranged on hardwood floors at the cafe side of the shop and a long menu board hangs on a far corner of the wall while magazine shelves and music posters hang on the other walls.


The book side of the shop has big comfy beige couches and light brown coffee tables, and tasteful book shelves line the walls filled with all sorts of titles for adult and children. The books are not for purchase, mind you, and are only for browsing. There are also overseas newspapers as well as my Singaporean friend told me The Book Cafe is popular among foreigners living in Singapore. The book section can be cordoned off with black curtains for private function.





[caption id="attachment_1773" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Interior of The Book Cafe"]Interior of The Book Cafe[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1774" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="The Book Section"]The Book Section[/caption]




[caption id="attachment_1771" align="alignleft" width="240" caption="Hot Cocoa & Apple Pie"]Hot Cocoa & Apple Pie[/caption]

Here, too, I decided to pass on the main meals as it was already 5pm and so, I picked a nice Hot Cocoa (SD$5.95) and the recommended Apple Pie with Ice Cream (SD$7.95). The Hot Cocoa is not sweet but has just the right amount of cocoa. As for the Apple Pie, it's very good, possibly one of the best apple pie I've had. Apple pies are usually too tart for my taste but The Book Cafe's pie is just nice with some sweetness. Unfortunately, it crumbles too easily.

We had a few book cafes in Malaysia but many have died and gone. I wish there are some nice book cafes nearby but the one good book cafe I heard about is located way in the middle of KL City. There used to be one in Damansara Perdana but either it's invisible to my eyes or it has gone away. So if you're ever in the vicinity of any of the book cafes in Singapore, I highly recommend you to try it out. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment