Saturday 27 June 2009

For The Loss Of A Star

At 8am on Friday, 26 June 2009, I was awakened by the beep of an SMS from my brother. 'Are you going around today with one glove, black armband, face mask and black hat as tribute?', it read. I replied drowsily, 'Michael Jackson's Day ke?' (Is it Michael Jackson's Day?). And my eyes grew wide as I read the next SMS, 'No. He just died.'


A person who really knows me would know that I had admired Michael Jackson since I was a child, since he started singing solo and even throughout his many changes. I have every one of his albums, with the exception of the 25th Anniversary album, and even had my dad buy me the movie and music video collection when it came out. I still remember when KFC in Malaysia had the Michael Jackson promotion where you can take a picture with his life-size standee. I was ecstatic, even though it wasn't really him.


At this moment, Facebook is filled with dedications and tributes to the 'King of Pop'. He has touched numerous fans with his songs, many of which are soulful and has the power to make you dance around or make you weep in tears. He was a true genius in music.


However, at the same moment as tears and tributes are shouted out, there are jeers and criticisms alongside them. As I looked through my newsfeed, most of my friends' status updates were paying homage to Michael Jackson, but some of the people commenting on their status were writing some pretty mean stuff.


As the 'King of Pop' has passed away after the Malaysian newspapers were printed and as CNN is not available for my Astro, I had to google to find out the real story. I read only the headline story of his death and immediately closed the browsers after that because even on the news website, there were already twisted articles written about him. The pop idol that many have loved was not even buried in peace yet and already the vultures have descended with their repulsive behaviours and ugly words.


I am not ashamed to admit that I loved him, that I admired him, even when he went through drastic appearances, even when he was accused of crimes ranging from molestation to breach of contract. No matter what people said about him, he undeniably changed the world of music, contributed many wonderful songs and touched souls everywhere. Just because he was famous and rich, people sought to take advantage of him, to bring him down, out of greed, out of jealousy and out of pure hatred. Yet underneath it all, he was still human, a human like any other with feelings and emotions, capable of making mistakes and wrong decisions but also capable of making a change in people's life. The people who ridiculed and condemned him without concrete proof and reason forgot that they themselves are human just like him and it is without a doubt that they will face the same ridicule and condemnation that they inflicted on him, God will see to that.


As I am writing this post, I am forced to disable comments for it as I have seen the ugly side of people who are not able to hold their tongues and their fingers from saying and writing discriminatory and uncalled remarks on the passing of Michael Jackson. Who cares about which religion he is in? Who cares what he was accused of doing? Who cares whether he abused drugs? We have lost a great figure in music and all these people could think about is 'what more bad things can I say about this man'. It is often times like this when we will see the blackness of a person's soul and heart. May God save your pitiful self.


It is a sad day for his fans, friends and family, and even the sky in Malaysia mourns his death as it rains throughout the day, as though the tears of his many loved ones fall from the heavens.


To the late and great Michael Jackson (from 1958 to 2009), at the age of 50, you left this chaotic world to finally rest in peace, away from prying eyes and condemning mouths. Your life was not in vain for you have touched many with the music of your creation, with your wish to 'heal the world'. Your music and your memory will still live on in the hearts of your loyal fans, your true friends and your beloved family. We have loved and will still love you always and forever. Rest in peace.





[caption id="attachment_1898" align="aligncenter" width="296" caption="Commemorative picture with a life-size standee of Michael Jackson. May you rest in peace. God bless."]Picture with a life-size standee of Michael Jackson[/caption]

No comments:

Post a Comment