Saturday 20 June 2009

As I Sit Here...4

As I sit here, outside Mid Valley's Kim Gary restaurant, I couldn't help but stare at each of my friends. I haven't seen them in a while so having the chance to hang out with them again was great fun.


It's hard to believe that more than 10 years have passed since we graduated from high school because we still act the same; our behaviours, our automatic ability to be at ease with each other even though we haven't seen each other in such a long time. Of course, there are some changes in each of us but our conversation is still filled with laughter and merriment just like before.


I'm sure that some of you are aware that in every group of friends, there are different categories of people, like the joker, the storyteller, the laugher, the beauty, the listener and the academic, to name a few. As the hours pass by, it became obvious to me who is which among my friends.


Filled with stories, which some of us don't even remember, is Keiko, whom I noticed is the main talker whenever the group is together. She is the one who keeps us entertained with numerous stories and keeps us up-to-date with the latest gossips. Michelle is, without a doubt, the laugher whose laughter is loud and contagious and has been since our high school days. She is the other story-teller when Keiko runs out of topics. Djoanna is the quiet one, usually listening to the conversation yet contributing unexpected quips and lines every so often. Keeping the laughter going with her vivid imagination is Dyna, who comes up with some of the weirdest and comedic story lines. As for me, my role in the group changes with the situation but I'm usually the observer and in school, I was the reader who always had a book at all times.


We were missing two more members from our usual group in high school, though. From what I remember of Mel back in school, she is usually the clever one with somewhat of a dry humour and wit. Ena is the sarcastic one with a sharp tongue that is funny to us but might seem hurtful to some.


I'm not trying to brand people or place them in a certain category or anything, it's simply the way we are. It's like that quiz I keep seeing in Facebook recently, 'In your circle of friends, what label are you?'. We could be totally different when we hang out with other friends but when we gather together, this is what I observe and I wouldn't want them to change in any way. :-)) I'm sure after this post, you will start to notice the 'label' and 'roles' of your own friends.


It's sometimes a shame how fast time goes by and how little time we have to meet up with one another. And so, I hope that we can still have fun together even as we grow older, even though we are married with kids, and even though we are busy with work. Here's to more fun and enjoyable outings!! Cheers!! 8-)

No comments:

Post a Comment